Expository Essay Ideas and Prompts
First of all, after getting such task you need to find a guide on expository essay or read some expository essay prompts. When you need to write an expository essay, remember that it can be of three types.
It is a typical situation, when different types of expository essay writing overlap. That is, you may need to write a paper that represents two different types of expository essay papers. How to start an expository essay? In any case, start with choosing the most appropriate topic for expository essay. This is one of the best ways you can develop excellent essay writing skills.
When you have a topic, make sure you know everything about it. Writing expository essay papers is much easier, when you choose a topic that is familiar to you. Explore available literature and see what other researchers say about your topic. Make notes and use the materials you find to develop expository essay. Do not ignore various sources. Peer reviewed journals, credible websites, and books will do, as you are developing an outline for your paper. When you are ready, create a debatable thesis statement to convey the key idea of your paper. In your thesis statement, articulate the most important aspects of the topic you are going to discuss in your work. Now it is time for you to decide what format and style you will use for your expository essay writing.
Expository Essay Prompts to Use for Your Writing
Get to know how to find interesting essay topics "How to Find Your Way Among Interesting Essay Topics"
Free Expository Essay: No Personal Opinion, Just Facts!
A free expository essay is known as a type of academic writing aimed at explaining a particular topic in a clear and logical way. It can be referred to as a straightforward analysis based on evidence and facts without any bias, emotions, or opinion of the author.
When students get a common prompt for writing an expository essay, there will be the verbs “define” or “explain”. For example, one of the examples of a task is, “Write an essay to explain how the students’ lives are changed with the invention of new computer technologies.” It should be noted that essays of such type never ask for expressing personal opinions or presenting judgmental arguments. The only task for the students is to provide explanations in a logical and simple manner. Notwithstanding the fact that writing is supposed to be simple, the process itself cannot be defined as easy.
Expository Essay Sample
Expository Writing: Five-Step Process
The skills of writing a high quality free expository essay are needed not only for the study, but also for life and career development. They are required for most of the careers, so the students need to master those skills as well as they can. Following the five stages of expository essay writing, they can attain success in different spheres.
Structure of the Expository Essay
A typical essay comprises several paragraphs, mostly five. The first paragraph is an introductory one with the including main idea or thesis. The following three paragraphs make up the body of the essay with the supporting details and evidence to prove the thesis. The last paragraph is concluding the essay with restated key idea that builds the bridge between the key essay points.
Have a look at the valuable tips for the students regarding the free expository essay structure and peculiar features of writing:
At the phase of prewriting, it is important to start with brainstorming the ideas related to the chosen topic. After that, the students proceed to profound research. They compose an outline of the essay on the basis of the taken notes and plan which information they will include in the essay paragraphs to organize the text logically.
Working on the first draft, the students should take into account the following recommendations:
- The topic sentence has the greatest value in the first paragraph as it reveals the main idea of the essay in the thesis statement. It is a must to ensure clear presentation of the thesis free of any position or judgmental opinion of the writer. A well-defined thesis should be further developed and confirmed with the following paragraph of the essay.
- The thesis of supported with the points presented separately in the body paragraphs. Each of the paragraphs should contain the sentences with the examples and facts, which prove and illustrate the topic of the paragraph.
- The reinforced statement of the thesis in the best expository essay examples of high school and college level is presented in the concluding paragraph. Note that the conclusion should not include any new material.
- Expository writing is aimed at discussing situations, events, or opinions, without expressing any personal views. Consequently, the students should never write in the first person (“we,” “I,” or “our”, “my”).
At the phase of revision, the students are supposed to do reorganization of the paper if needed with proper amendments and modifications. They try to improve the written paper in every possible way. Doing revision, have a look at the list of questions for you not to miss any point:
- Is the analysis in the essay unbiased? Does it unfold logically? Does it contain relevant examples?
- Are the details communicated effectively?
- Are there any unnecessary details included?
- Is the structure of the sentences varied?
- How can you define the word choice?
- Can the readers get clear understanding of the text through transitions?
- Is the meaning of the concluding paragraph clear and relevant to the thesis?
Mind so that all characteristics of expository writing were kept in the essay, including a solid thesis and excellent evidence.
The stage of proofreading and error correction is important as it makes the style perfect and the text free of mistakes in grammar. Make the text concise and lively. You can also ask one of your friends to lend you a helping hand and read through the essay with afresh eye.
You can be sensitive about critical comments, but sharing your writing with other people can bring you a bunch of benefits and improve the essay considerably. Do not miss your chance to gain perfection.